Chatral Rinpoche about meat

« Older   Newer »

1. Mugaku

User deleted

An Interview with Chatral Rinpoche

Question: Why did you decide to stop eating meat? How old were you when you made this decision?

Chatral Rinpoche: It is written in many Theravadayana and Mahayana texts that one should not eat meat. There is also a Vajrayana text that says the same thing, that one should not enjoy meat or alcohol. Because of this I am following the instructions of Shakyamuni Buddha. Being a religious person, I don't take meat or alcohol and at the same time I try to tell other people not to consume these things. This is my reason—I'm just trying to motivate other people. I was 47 years old when I went to Bodhgaya and made a vow to all of the buddhas and bodhisattvas to give up meat and alcohol.

Q: Why do you think vegetarianism is an important aspect of practicing the Dharma?

Rinpoche: If you take meat, it goes against the vows one takes in seeking refuge in the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha. Because when you take meat you have to take a being's life. So I gave it up.

Q: Some claim that one can help the animals one eats by praying for them, and thus eating meat is compassionate. Other than for the most accomplished yogis and lamas, what do you make of this claim?

Rinpoche:
    With supernatural powers gained through certain meditation practices, it is true that there are some realized beings who can revive animals from the dead and help them reach a higher rebirth or enlightenment by consuming small amounts of their flesh. But this is not done for sustenance, only for the purpose of helping that animal. I personally do not have that power and, because of that, I never eat meat. Eating meat in one's diet is much different than eating flesh to liberate a being through supernatural powers. I am just an ordinary practitioner who really doesn't have these qualities. So, if I ate meat it would be the same if you or any other lay person ate meat. I would be committing a sin and I would be getting negative karma. I don't pretend as if I have special powers and eat meat, I just avoid it altogether.

Q: Do you know other lamas who are vegetarian?

Rinpoche: I know many of them from Tibet. There are Nyingmapa, Sakyapa, and Gelukpa vegetarians in Tibet. Compared to the many meat-eating lamas, vegetarian lamas are very few, though. I'm 88 and during my experience I have come across many lamas in Kham, Amdo—all parts of Tibet—who don't eat meat.

Da: www.snowlionpub.com/pages/N77_8.html

Altre info su Chatral Rinpoche: www.snowlionpub.com/pages/chatral.html

ChatralRinpochetraveledexclusivelyb

2. dparo

User deleted

CITAZIONE (Mugaku @ 10/2/2012, 20:39) 
    An Interview with Chatral Rinpoche

:quoto:
    Simpatico vecchietto!
    :)

d

3. Mugaku

User deleted

CITAZIONE (dparo @ 11/2/2012, 09:28) 
    Simpatico vecchietto!

E' un grandissimo Nyingmapa, un grande maestro Dzogchen, da molti considerato un realizzato/Buddha Vivente :)

4. dparo

User deleted

CITAZIONE (Mugaku @ 11/2/2012, 12:16) 
    CITAZIONE (dparo @ 11/2/2012, 09:28) 
    Simpatico vecchietto!

E' un grandissimo Nyingmapa, un grande maestro Dzogchen, da molti considerato un realizzato/Buddha Vivente :)

Mi pareva di ricordare che fosse un grande maestro, non volevo comunque mancare di rispetto :ko!:
    è solo che dall'immagine mi ispira simpatia, così a pelle... :teeth:

d

5. Mugaku

User deleted

CITAZIONE (dparo @ 11/2/2012, 12:19) 
    [...] non volevo comunque mancare di rispetto :ko!:
    è solo che dall'immagine mi ispira simpatia, così a pelle... :teeth:

Ahahahah, ma figurati! Era solo una precisazione la mia :)
    Io ho provato ammirazione e simpatia vedendo una foto di Kyabje Kalu Rinpoche pur non sapendo chi fosse e per mesi lo chiamavo "Il Vecchietto" :lol:

6. Tabasco

User deleted

Ha 99 anni quest'anno. :o:

7. Mugaku

User deleted

CITAZIONE (Tabasco @ 11/2/2012, 13:08) 

Non ho mai fatto caso alla sua età fino ad ora :o: :o: :o:

8. dparo

User deleted

CITAZIONE (Tabasco @ 11/2/2012, 13:08)